You can register for the event on this page by Monday, 25 February 11:59 pm EST
UN HQ conference room 12, New York - Thursday 28 February 2019, 13:15-14:45
Co-organized by UNMGCY and IOM
- The International Dialogue for Migration (IDM) 2019 focuses on ‘youth and migration: engaging youth as key partners in migration governance’. The Dialogue will take place on 28 February along with two other events: the General Assembly’s high-level debate on international migration and development on the 27th, and UN DESA’s symposium on international migration and development on the 26th. The IDM will address topics of understanding youth migration: beyond facts and figures; addressing specific challenges and vulnerabilities of young people: what role, which partners; empowering youth to become actors of change, and mainstreaming youth migration into development policies: recommendations for the way forward.
Issues and Significance
- The 2018 Marrakech Youth Forum raised youth voices and perspectives on global migration governance. This side event on youth leadership in 21st century migration governance event is a timely opportunity to review the key outcomes and recommendations from the Youth Forum, and to begin looking at how and where youth can actively influence discussion on migration, as part of a whole-of-society approach.
- Envisioned program for the side-event:
- Welcoming remarks by Laura Thompson, IOM DDG
- Keynote speech by Roxanne Tajbakhsh, UNMGCY Global Focal Point for Migration
- An all-youth panel moderated by Colin Rajah, Civil Society Action Committee Coordinator
- Ms. Roxanne Tajbakhsh, Global Focal Point for Migration Working Group at UNMGCY;
- Ms. Julia Blocher, President of the International Youth Federation, Migration Researcher at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK); and
- Ms. Iliana G Perez, Director of Research and Entrepreneurship with Immigrants Rising.
- How are youth influencing discussions on migration? How can youth build on their momentum to create positive change?
- What new areas in migration policy should we mobilize around?
- How can civil society best harness the ideas, innovations and curiosity of young people, ensuring a connect from the grassroots to the high-level platforms?
Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 13:15 to 14:30
Conference Room 12, UNHQ, New York